To be a leading employer in the transport sector.
Our people are our most valuable and important asset. Without them our buses and trains cannot create value. It is our teams across the Group that keep the business moving and are the face of Go-Ahead. Investing in and developing our people enables them to fulfil their potential and assists them in carrying out their jobs to the best of their ability, thereby improving the customer experience. Effective leadership development and succession planning are essential to sustainable success for the Group and a diverse workforce further enhances this.
Our 27,500 employees are our most important asset – they keep our business moving and are the face of Go-Ahead.
Retaining skilled, professional people with the right attitude is important to us. We spend time and money recruiting, training and developing our people, so it makes economic sense to ensure they remain with the Group. We benefit from the value they add, as well as keeping recruitment costs as low as possible. The principle underpinning the Investors in People management framework – believing organisations succeed by realising the potential of their people – is fundamental to our approach.
Our achievements include:
- robust levels of employee engagement of 47% for bus and 59% for rail
- Investors in People (IiP) Gold accreditation at Group head office with several of our operating companies having Silver and Gold and even Southeastern the highest IiP level Champion status
- Metrobus’s Crawley bus garage awarded Gold at UK Bus Awards for a third year running
- to be the employer of choice in our sector
- to improve levels of employee engagement across the business
- to maintain levels of absenteeism below the national average
- to maintain consistently low levels of employee turnover
“There’s no doubt that directors remain committed to continuous improvement. You have worked hard to implement changes to ensure that the organisation demonstrates best contemporary employment practices and your achievement of this award is very well deserved.” Investors in People